Sunday, September 18, 2011

September 18, 2011

Today is Sunday, September 18, 2011, and I think that I will do something different.. mainly because I don't feel like opening the Sunday paper yet.  Instead, since I just did the crossword puzzle for The Week magazine issue of September 23, 2011.. I will make some observations about news events clued in the puzzle.  My one hour starts.......now.

1.  The Amazing Sarah

Guess who showed up in Iowa last week and participated in a "half-marathon".. that's around 13 miles, folks.  An incognito Sarah Palin.

She came in unannounced and disguised by sunglasses.  Some people finally recognised her and she posed for a few pictures.  She did her 13 miles in a little under two hours.  I think that is a respectable 11 mph rate.  (I couldn't do it).  After the race, she hurried to New Hampshire to talk to some Tea Party folks.

The "half Governor" never ceases to amaze me, but not enough to make me want to vote for her..Elaine has always said that if women ever run for President, they will get her vote.... however, she makes two exceptions:  Sarah and Michelle.

2.   Yummy Ice Cream?

Ben and Jerry's has come out with a new flavor: schweddyballs.  The name relates to a Saturday Night Live routine... I went out to the Internet and tried to view the episode.. but, my lack of computer power won't let me.  I'm sure the routine is hilarious.

By the way, I got an email from my friend Jeremy (Larry) Johnson, a New York actor who graduated from New Bedford (Massachusetts) High School with me.  He has done some Saturday Night Live skits as special characters.  His next gig is as a mustachioed guy in the pilot for "Eugene" on Comedy Central.

Elaine and I had fun visiting Ben and Jerry's ice cream factory in Vermont a couple of years ago.  We tried a lot of their great desserts.  However, their prices are a bit high when it comes to ice cream in the super markets.. but I'm sure it is worth it.  Cheap guys like me will probably stick to Edy's.

3.  Jobs?

President Obama says: vote, vote, vote... for the American Jobs Act.  Republicans say: maybe, maybe, maybe... or.. maybe not, maybe not, maybe not...  Here we go again!

4.  Another Pavarotti Lost!

Operatic tenor Salvatore Licitra died recently at a young age.  He was being praised for probably becoming another Luciano Pavarotti.  In my opinion, nobody has ever come close to sounding like Luciano.  (My late lamented Tuxedo Cat, had several names, one of which was Luciano, shortened to Lucky.  He was named Luciano because some of his meows were quite melodious and reminded me of Pavarotti.  I have never heard a human sound as good as Pavarotti.. even my hero, Placido Domingo, who made the part of Torrido come alive in Cavalleria Rusticana.)

5.  Where is she now?

Yma Sumac.. Peruvian singer from the fifties with an amazing voice.  She still has an active fan club that has a website called sunvirgin.com.  I will not link to it, because the website says not to because of a picture that they are legally bound to not have duplicated.  In fact, they claim that the picture is "watermarked" so that violators can be tracked.....!?

6.  Can you name the seven dwarfs?

Doc, Dopey, Sleepy, Grumpy, Happy, Sneezy, and Bashful.  Hey, I got them all right!



(Incidentally, the amateurish cartoons that I show on my blogs from time to time, are from drawings I would make each night before bed on notebook paper and with cheap crayons.  This was fun for me. I hope that I am not violating some copying law by letting people see my childish renditions.)

7.  How are your arteries?

Denny's Restaurant has a new specialty:  the Mac 'n Cheese Big Daddy Patty Melt platter... with 1,690 calories and 99 grams of fat. 

8.  Purple contact lenses?

I guess you can't call contact lenses jewelry.. so I guess they won't be included in the mass of Liz Taylor's jewelry that Christie's will be auctioning off in December.  You will probably need to get your bid in early.. they expect a big crowd.  Bring lots of dough!

Didn't Ms Taylor play Cleopatra?  Besides the puzzle clue about Liz' jewelry, there is another clue nearby that reads:  "Egyptian cobra".. the answer, of course is, appropriately: ASP.

.................................................................
My hour is up.  Thanks for listening.
.................................................................

No comments:

Post a Comment