Saturday, October 15, 2011

October 15, 2011

Elaine has been in the hospital, so I haven't done any blogging for over a week.  Events are better today, so I submit the following for your perusal.

1.  Pee More Yet

An NPR report this week made me think about something my grandfather told me years ago.  He was president of a club in a small Massachusetts town.  To become a member of this club (restricted to males), one had to be initiated.  The new person had to wear a topcoat and submit to a mask covering his eyes.  The initiation (which they called "Pee More Yet") consisted of every one of the current members urinating in the new person's pockets.

Gross?  Yes!  But I thought that such activity may have to happen on this one airline that has begun charging to use their restrooms.  That same airline is about to eliminate all but one restroom on their planes, to make room for more seats. I hate to wait in long lines..  I'm glad I don't fly anymore.

2.  Ho Hum!

A study has now shown that turtles do not participate in contagious yawning as humans and other primates do.

3.  Hum Hum!

Another (high-priced?) study has now shown that some beetles mate with empty beer bottles.  (I think that this study was conducted by a Nobel awardee.. ?)

4.  I do, but only for a little while.

The Week magazine reports that Mexico City may start allowing couples to set time limits on their marriages.. with some to last as short as two years (which is probably a bit longer than some regular marriages last these days.)  Lawyers would probably make money on the contracts, while losing money on divorces.. so it will all come out equal.   What ever happened to "trial marriages"? 

5.  No more playboys?

The much advertised Playboy Club TV show died a quick death.  Can you remember those clubs back in the late 60's and 70's?  I went to the one in Baltimore once and spent a lot of money and the most boring two hours of my life.  Most men expected centerfold ladies to serve them drinks and sit on their laps.  Dream on, guys. 

6.  Burning Question!

Who is Click and who is Clack?

7.  Big Mama!

To kill some time at night while Elaine is in the hospital, I have been watching some Mae West movies.  A few are wonderful..

Night After Night with George Raft (1932).. a hokie view of Prohibition. 

I'm No Angel with Cary Grant (1933).

My Little Chickadee with the great W. C. Fields (1940)  Filled with ridiculous situations and double entendres. 

Mae West wrote most of the scripts for her movies and one of her lines that I really like was:

"When you're good to mama, mama is good to you!"

........................OK, my hour is up.  See ya!

...................................................................................................

No comments:

Post a Comment