Wednesday, October 19, 2011

October 19, 2011

A very tough day.  Now, I'm waiting for some dark clothes to run through the washing machine and have an hour to spend on my hobby.. which is bugging people with my take on the current "scene".

1.  A Fishy Story

I've been told that the Bonneville Fish Hatchery in Oregon has a celebrity.  Herman the Sturgeon is 11 feet long and 500 pounds.  He is also 70 years old!  If you get out to the West Coast, take a look.

2.  Cowboy Dick

No, it's not Rick Perry of Texas. It's Richard Rothschild of Carroll County Maryland, one of our five Commissioners.  Apparently, he carries an "unconcealed" weapon.  He has a permit to carry it, but I wonder why he has to, in the safest County in Maryland, and perhaps in the whole United States.  I'm told that he can be found on You-Tube.  I hope none of the other four Commissioners get him "riled up."



3.  Joe?

Our local Jiffy Mart has an ad in the local paper: "Remember when 'a cup of joe and a paper' were only $1.00?"  They are offering a cup of coffee and a newspaper for a dollar for a little while.

Hell! I can remember when a cup of coffee was a nickel and a newspaper was a penny!  Coffee stayed at that price until suddenly newspapers reported that coffee was scarse and the price of a cup would have to go up... and up... and up...

At that time, I had a problem with caffeine and was drinking Postum, the cereal drink developed by Mr. Post and the trigger for the Post Cereal empire and Marjorie Merriwether Post and Dena Merrill.  (You can visit the Merriwether Post mansion complex in DC.. a very interesting place, where you can see all kinds of Russian treasures purchased by Marjorie when Russia was divesting itself of items that recalled it's csarist days.)

Anyway, Postum was not coffee, but guess what... it's price  went way up, just as coffee's did.. what a rip off!  Good bye Postum!

Now, I subscribe to Gevalia, which supplies me with pretty good coffee every couple of months.  I drink six cups of six ounce caffeine free coffee each day, and I look forward to it.  If I slip up and drink caffeinated coffee by mistake, I can kiss sleep goodbye that night. 




4.  Elaine's Experience

Elaine has to have antibiotics pumped into her through an IV, so she has to spend some time in a nursing environment where we live.  Since there was only one bed available, she has been located in a dementia/Alzheimers ward.

The first day she was there, she tried to help a lady who seemed to need assistance.  The lady glared at Elaine and said:  "Go to Haband!"  (Pronounced: Hay Band)  She was probably meaning a subterranean location and not a business out of Pennsylvania.

She also observed an elderly couple (both 90 years old) holding hands and whispering sweet "nothings" in each other's ears.  She has  Alzheimers and he is recuperating from back surgery, but has no mental problems.   They have been married for many years and are still in love. (Remember the movie "The Notebook")   It is very touching. 

I'm  confident that breakthroughs will occur within the next ten years and Alzheimers will be a disease of the past.  Stem cells, my friend, stem cells.

When I visit, there is usually two ladies singing: "He walks with me, and he talks with me.."  They sing it in perfect pitch and harmony.. and they have dementia.  What a weird thing our brains are.

5. Irony?

Harpers magazine reports:  July 13, 2011 was the date that Joe Walsh (R. Ill) said that Washington can't put "one more dollar of debt upon the backs of my kids."

The amount that Harpers says Joe Walsh owes in back child support: $98,422.

.......................................  My hour is up again... see ya!...................................

No comments:

Post a Comment